sarnath tour – varanasi
Located about 10km outside the holy city of Varanasi, Sarnath is one of the most revered Buddhist pilgrimage centers. It is believed that after gaining enlightenment, Gautama Buddha delivered his first sermon and taught the Dharma here in Sarnath. Some of the most important Buddhist monuments are located here, alongside vast expanse of ancient ruins.
Drive down. Pick up from the hotel, the car journey is about 45min.
Srilankan temple. The place where Lord Buddha gave his first sermon – Mool Gandha Kuti Vihar temple.
Archaeological ruins. Discover some ruins from 3rd century BC. 80 feet high stupa.
Site museum. A round of the museum (which houses Indian National emblem).
Thai temple. It is famous for one of the tallest image of Lord Buddha – 80 feet.
Lassi break. Enjoy some delicious lassi or chai to freshen up.
Lunch. End with some sumptuous lunch at one of the famous restaurant.
- Wear appropriate shoes as there will be walking & climbing of stairs
- We would advise you to wear comfortable but conservative clothing
- Carry a hat, sunglasses & sun protection lotion especially in the summer months
- Shoes to be removed at the Holy places
- Head cover (like a stole) required while visiting some temples
- Duration upto 4.5 hours
- Experience includes: an air-conditioned car that picks and drops you from your hotel; bottled water and munchies available in the car; local expert from the city; lunch
Discovered the mysterious city of Varanasi!
Had taken a tour with friends to discover the mysterious city of Varanasi. The tour was very interesting and covered a lot of off beat places. From viewing the Arti to walking the narrow alleys to a boatride to visiting Sarnath we covered it all in a span of 2 days. Our local expert was awesome – wasn’t at all like a typical history lesson but was full of conversations and interesting facts. Would definitely take their other tours as well. Wish we had more time!